Founder, Managing Partner
State Bar of California
Benjamin is the Founder and Managing Partner of BH2I and a member of the International Society of Hospitality Consultants.
Previously, Benjamin was a Senior Equity Partner at Clyde & Co, where as Head of Hospitality Asia Pacific and Head of Real Estate Singapore, he established and led practices that were recognized in Chambers and the Legal 500 ranking services in the Corporate and Real Estate sectors. Prior to that, Benjamin was a Partner at DLA Piper in Bangkok, Thailand and worked with Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps in California for many years prior to their merger with Dentons.
Ben focuses on providing practical and commercially sound advice to corporate, real estate and hospitality clients on international business transactions by advising on all aspects of the project development cycle. Ben’s practice includes private equity financings, joint ventures, start-ups, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, all aspects of real property development (including retail, industrial, office and residential projects), management and license agreements, and advising on various transaction structuring and project operational issues.
He currently advises leading private equity, real estate and hospitality and leisure companies across the Asia Pacific region on foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions, acquisitions and dispositions, development and operations, including such areas such as private equity, property funds, timeshare, fractional ownership, REITS and branded residences, and has become the ‘go-to’ individual in Singapore, Thailand, Japan, greater China, Myanmar, Maldives, Indonesia, Vietnam, South Korea, Australia and other jurisdictions in Asia Pacific for several of the world’s largest private equity firms, hotel operating companies and property owners.
Represented one of the world’s largest global hotel operating companies in connection with its acquisition of Six Senses Hotels and Resorts. Led team responsible for HMA and branded residence documentary analysis to assess potential valuation, integration and structuring impacts.
- Advised a leading global hotel operator on all aspects of its commercial services, brands and operational issues in its Asia Pacific region. Primary point of contact with responsibility for more than 20 jurisdictions and 65 properties.
- Advised an investor in connection with all aspects of formation of a joint venture with leading private equity funds and acquisition of interests in a luxury resort in Okinawa, Japan valued at USD 250,000,000.
- Advised a global affiliate of a leading US based private equity fund in connection with its acquisition and recapitalization of a mature business with operations in Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore.
- Advised a publically traded Singapore REIT in connection with its acquisition and disposition of assets in Australia and subsequent restructuring of the business and ownership structure.
- Advised Starwood Hotels and Resorts in connection with due diligence and other aspects involved in creating the world’s largest hotel operating company.
- Advised three of the world’s largest hospitality companies on creation and implementation of branded residence structures in Asia, including creating template documentation for use on a regional basis.
- Advised the world’s leading timeshare company on its timeshare and corporate structures in Asia, including corporate restructuring, acquisition of properties and providing multijurisdictional compliance guidance for Club Point Sales to entities in Germany, India, Indonesia, United Kingdom, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Australia, Macau, Philippines and Taiwan.
- Represented investors, owners and operators in connection with acquisition, management, disposition and operation of more than 1,000 hotel and branded residence development transactions in Australasia in the last 5 years.